Friday, January 22, 2010

Ignorance is bliss

Is it?? There are times in our lives when we introspect...you don’t?? Ohh come on...you aren’t lying to me...but to yourself...We all think of things that have gone wrong...and those which may...in the time to come. But how do we really define bliss?? Is it being happily high when with friends...or is it being highly happy in the arms of the one you love. Too subjective don’t you think??

I sit down to write today, in a mood too sombre to define something even close to euphoric. But nostalgia doesn’t come naturally to me. Apprehension does. What is it that you want to be ignorant of?? Your shortcomings?? Or the ability to accept them as yours?? I have a perspective on it (after all it is democracy we live in)... I do believe there is a part of us who lies...a part of us that wants to believe just what we want to believe...and not what we should....You don’t believe me?? I never asked you to...its just my perspective....Let me exemplify it...Whenever we are apprehensive, what do we look to?? Friends??? Family?? Those we love?? Or to those who love us?? You answer it to yourself...But invariably you want someone else to tell you that you are right in what you are doing...or what you want to do...We all desire to be corroborated...accepted...

There comes the irony...Is it others who should define what is right for you?? Or are they not “others” in the first place?? Ohh yes...the eternal chicken and egg story...Obligations and paybacks...”He has done so much for you...you can’t let him suffer”... even if you do?? What’s the rationale behind a society when it can’t accept your individuality...and what’s the rationale behind euphoria when its not you who defines it?? The one goal we all seek in life is acceptance...of our actions...and our thoughts...and in doing so...we lose what is the most precious part of us...which always seeks bliss...but ends up being ignorant...

High I am tonight...and I think of all the things I have seen people do around me...some have defined love..in their own way..while some define excellence...some accept compromise...while some seek satisfaction in the same...Let me ask you this...Do you think you can make someone happy?? Or is it his/her’s own choice to be so...And there goes another obscure term...”Choice”...

I am a part of an extremely orthodox closely knit family, where its collective opinion which always matters, even if it entails curbing your own personal differences of opinion...”Choice” is a luxury, and to earn it, one needs a plethora of justifications and reasoning....So, if something gives me that happiness i seek...and is unacceptable to my family...what do i do?? You have an answer?? Or do you have a justification?? Think of a scenario...I find something I want for life...something that gives me that one thing I desire...that bliss and euphoria i have always pursued...but it fails to meet the “criteria” set out by “those who matter to me”...or atleast should...what if my family tells me its not right for me?? What if they tell me, they know better?? Should I find happiness in what makes them happy?? Or should i try to give them that happiness by being blissful myself?? What if I hurt them in doing so?? What if they don’t accept my choice of action??

Well, that’s when it is labelled as ignorance, of others expectations, and your obligations...So, do you lie to them to do what you want to?? Or do you wait for them to understand?? I have no answer to that...I have only questions...when you think of your family before yourself...try asking yourself this...Is it you who wants to do it?? Or is it you who has to??

Ohh yes, when there are so many questions to be answered, most of us will seek the easier way out, that of inertia and inaction...then where is the real bliss?? for both the individual in question, and the people asking the questions...It is ignorance that provides the sense of bliss...a collective acceptance of a compromise, since you denied to accept it as that...A riskless negotiation, forgoing all that could have been yours, and hence of those who care for you...

So, if you ask me...I will tell you to take a shot at your dreams...to seeking bliss...and discarding ignorance...to pursuing individuality and discarding mass acceptance...Let yourself free for once, and seek independence...Seek excellence and not the acceptance of it...Seek satisfaction, and not he corroboration of it...Love those close to you, and make yourself worthy of being loved...

Hence, Cheers to the ignorance...and cheers to the bliss...let bliss come to you from your ignorance...but never be ignorant because of your bliss

Cheers,

Div

1 comment:

Rachna said...

Well, True to an extent. Were you really high Div?? Your post seems to honest to be written in a sombre mood :)
And yeah, for the ignorance part.. enjoy the bliss - who knows it might be ignored in some other phase by some other people